Friday, May 14, 2010

Latest Project


I picked the latest issue of Stitch Magazine the other day. I was able to use a 50% off coupon from JoAnn Fabrics. There are several projects inside that I want to try out. I volunteered to be a swap angel for this Frugal Swap over on Craftster. So when I saw this Travel Lingerie Bag I knew it would be perfect for my partner. She asked for a wet bag to put her unmentionables in while traveling. While I like the project I made a few changes to the idea in the magazine. Because I wanted to make it a wet bag I used waterproof fabric for the lining and ripstop nylon for the cover because I wanted it to be lightweight. For some reason I had both of these fabrics in my stash it just took me a while to remember where I put them.

The bag has a side for the clean things and a side for the dirty things. And it folds in the middle between the two sides and closes with Velcro. You could put your slippers in this center section. I love the way this turned out so I hope my partner does too.

I didn't want to do the hand embroidery that the pattern called for so I used a machine satin stitch for the clothesline and the words. After using fusible web to position the cloths appliques I just top stitched them around with a strait stitch to secure them. This was a fun project and not meant to be an heirloom or anything. It is meant to be used and functional. My partner said she liked useful thing that are pretty too. I like that philosophy although I love to make things that are just pretty as well. And I know I make plenty of things that I don't need. But I do need to make them. I guess you could say crafting is a kind of therapy for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment