Monday, February 15, 2010

A New Dress

I got this embroidered boarder fabric at JoAnn's on the clearance table. It is a wool blend and it has a flower embroidery with little free standing butterflies on it. I used Simplicity 2846. I wanted a pattern with few seams at the edge because it would show off the boarder to the best advantage. By using this kind of fabric I needed to decide on the length before cutting it out as the finished edge of the fabric is the finished edge of the garment. Well I guess I was not careful enough in my measurements because my dress turned out to short for my taste and figure.
The pattern also called for a slit in the back and I realized that that was unnecessary too and it really became to short in the back and revealed to much of me to the public. I had to think of someway to salvage the dress so I could wear it. I really liked the fabric and I didn't have enough left over to make anything else out of. I decided to add a band of the same fabric to the middle of the dress. That gave me the length I wanted. No one would ever know that that wasn't
the original design of this dress. I also closed up the slit I made as I didn't need that and it was still to revealing even with the longer length. Now I can wear the dress. I would have preferred cutting it out right in the first place but I am glad I came up with a solution that I could live with. The other idea I had was to cut off the top part of the dress and just turn it into a skirt. Or I could have pitched the whole project but I really didn't want to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment