I have had this coat idea in my head for quite some time. I finally made it into a reality. And I love the way it turned out. I am not sure what the fabric content is but it feels like some kind of silk. It was a gift from a friend who worked in a drapery workroom. I love using home dec fabrics for clothing. They usually have a heavier feel to them and I think home dec fabrics are perfect for jackets. While looking through my stash of vintage doilies I came across this crocheted one with pink trim. When I put it next to this fabric I knew they were meant to be together.
I wanted the lace to be an accent around the waist as well as the collar. While the doily was pretty large I still had to plan carefully to use the doily to the best advantage. One part of the doily was to damaged to use so I had to work around that part. I picked The Catherine Coat pattern because I liked the separate skirt with the slightly gathered bodice. And the large collar would be good to showcase the doily as the collar. The doily was just large enough to fit the skirt at the waist of the jacket. I had to do at bit of adjusting to get the rest of the doily to fit around the collar. For the buttons I stacked two buttons together a vintage ecru shell button on the bottom with a smaller pink button on top. I love the results and the fit of this jacket.
I have used this pattern before but it has a completely different look. The pattern has several suggestions for different looks even a robe version. It is an unlined coat but if you used a heavy wool or fleece fabric it could be an outerwear coat as well. A good pattern to be creative with.