Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The Catherine Coat

I have been popping over to Hawthorne Threads from time to time to enter their giveaway contest. Well you know that after a few visits I couldn't resist placing an order for some new fabrics. One of the fabrics that I purchased was this lovely cotton by Micheal Miller called Delilah. I didn't realized until it arrived that is had glittery gold incorporated into the print. I didn't know what I was going to use it for which is often the case when I buy fabric. I decided it would make a nice lightweight jacket I could wear to work in warmer weather. I used The Catherine Coat Pattern by Serendipity Studios. I had some light grey sateen weave cotton leftover from a pair of pants I made last year. There was just enough to make the collar and the faux pocket flaps. I thought it coordinated nicely with the Delilah print. This jacket is unlined and quite simple to put together. I pretty much followed the pattern except for the sleeve. Where the pattern had a separate cuff that the sleeve was gathered into I opted for a 3/4 sleeve with one pleat in the center. I had some vintage gold buttons to complete the look. I used four on the front and one on each sleeve. I like the look of this jacket and it fits very well. The only thing I wish I had done differently is match the print on the front. I never thought about it until the jacket was complete. A bit to late to do anything about. It would have been nice to have those large motifs match at the front. I have worn it several times already. The fabric does shed a lot of glitter for the first few times of wearing. I will probably make this coat again. I already have some fabric picked out for the next coat. I am thinking about incorporating a vintage doily into the design.

No comments:

Post a Comment