Saturday, May 5, 2012

Brides Apron

So after deciding to make the camo apron for the groom I had to come up with something suitable for the bride. While I didn't want to make the bride a camouflaged apron, I did want it to kind of go together. I wanted hers to be more feminine but still in keeping with the nature theme. So I picked out this flower twill that has been in my stash so long I can't remember where it came from. The large eyelet ruffle was something that was given to me and the small eyelet ruffles around the pockets I have had in my stash for a very long time too. I used the same ripstop cotton in olive that I used on the grooms apron. I think using that same fabric on both aprons is just enough to coordinate them. His being tough and manly and hers pretty and girly.
This was a retro pattern from 1979. It is Simplicity 9209 and I made view 1. This pattern came from a box won at the auction. I am getting quite a collection of old apron patterns. This one took a bit longer to make than I anticipated. But still it was pretty easy to sew together. It was more time consuming because of all the bias trim around every edge. The pattern called for premade bias trim but I wanted to used the olive fabric to match the grooms apron. His had only a bit of bias used as ties and to finish the sides. But I already had some bias strips left over from cutting his out. I pretty much followed the pattern exactly except for making my own bias trim. I think it turned out adorable. I hope they will use their aprons and have fun cooking together.