Wednesday, May 23, 2012
Another tank top
I whipped up another tank top today. This time I used a tubular knit so the only seams needed were the shoulder seams. I only used a pattern as a guide to cut the armholes and the neckline. The fabric came in a batch of stuff I got at the auction so I am not sure what the fabric content is. It feels like it may be a cotton polyester blend. It does feel very soft and springs back to shape well.
I didn't want just a plain white tank top so I added a bit of embellishment to the front. I cut strips of the same knit and gathered them down the center to make ruffles. I actually cut them with a pair of scalloped scissors but you can't really tell once the strips were gathered. I sewed three strips at the front of my top before I hemmed the neck edge. After sewing them on I wanted something to decorate the centers. I first thought of some kind of narrow trim but I didn't have anything I liked. Then I decided this was a great place to use one of my over 400 decorative stitches on my sewing machine. I like to play with those stitches but there is hardly ever a place you can use them without looking a bit too homemade. I picked out a stitch that looks like a rosebud on a stem. I tested a few stitches out on a scrap. I like how this adds to my ruffles. I had to use some tearaway stabilizer under my fabric because the fabric wanted to get sucked down into the throat plate and get stuck.
I also got to use my new five thread serger I got at the auction a few months ago. I really haven't had a chance to play with this at all since I got it. I only tested it when I brought it home to see if it even worked. I came with the three row cover stitch set up. There was not an accessory box with it so I have to do a bit of research to see if I can find replacements of if the tools from my other sergers will work with this one. Mainly I need the tools that is used to replace the needles and move the position. Anyway I finished the armholes and the neckline and the hem with this three row cover stitch and the worked great. I think I have a piece of hot pink tubular knit in my stash somewhere and if I can find it I think I will make a pink tank top next.