I have acquired quite a collection of vintage hankies. Some belonged to family members a few I picked up at antique shops and several I purchased from online auctions at Shop Goodwill . I love looking at my hankie collection and dreaming up ideas to use them. However I have a very hard time actually cutting into one of my vintage hankies. In fact many of my hankies are still folded in their original form and I can hardly bring myself to unfold them. They have been folded in that shape for many years so it is quite easy to refold them. They are so pretty and unique they should be shown off and used for something pretty.
I picked up a copy of Hankie Style by Amy Barickman for Indygo Junction. This book has several apparel and accessory projects all using hanker chiefs. Some use hankie fabric and new and vintage hankies. I do have several new hankies in my collection too. I thought I would be able to cut into the new ones more easily, but they came in such a cute package and were folded so cleverly that I didn't want to disturb them either. I decided to take the plunge and use a few of my hankies to actually make something.
My book has two full size garment patterns included, a cardigan and a tunic. The cap sleeved tunic looked like the perfect project to try first. It only used one hankie and I needed some light weight tops to wear to work. I had recently purchased this sweet Swiss dot fabric at Hancock Fabrics . It is very lightweight and has a nice vintage look. I went through my hankies to find the right ones to match my pink dot fabric and the pretty pink floral dot fabric.
The Cap Sleeved Tunic was very easy to put together. It only took me about an hour and a half to cut and sew my first top. For the first one I used the pink floral with a rose windowpane hankie. I picked this one first because the hankie had a small hole in one side so I didn't feel so bad about cutting it up. I like the finished top except the neckline is slightly to big in the front. I fixed it by stretching a piece of elastic at the very edge of the neck. This gathered it up slightly causing it to fit more closely to my neck. The next top I altered the pattern to make the neck smaller before cutting the fabric. The second top made with the pink dot fabric fit much better. The hankie I picked out for this top had a large bouquet in one corner and I wanted to highlight that feature. I turned the hankie on the bias and let the point float freely beyond the seam. I like the way this one turned out and I wore it to work today. I will probably make more of these tops because they are so quick and easy and really could be made without a hankie. Next project from this book perhaps a scarf or a T-shirt embellishment.
I joined these link parties!! My Repurposed Life and Amy Lou Who Sew-N-Tell.
Sunday Showcase at Under The Table Dreaming.