Monday, December 14, 2009

Swap sent




I have participated in my last swap of the year and it is all wrapped up now. For the Christ-centered- Christmas Swap I enjoyed creating a few things for my partner KLKing. She asked for a Bible cover to protect her favorite Bible. I strip pieced a cover out of mostly silks and embroidered her name and favorite bible passage on the front. It zips around three sides and is lined with gold velvet. I had not used my embroidery machine for quite a while but I just used the built in letters on the machine. I didn't want to take the time to do a template which I discovered was a mistake, because I had to pick out most of my first attempt when I realized it was not going to fit in the space. I think I spent way more time ripping out than I would have spent making a template. Oh well I think it turned out nice and my partner loved it.


I made her an apron that she can use year around. I used some floral decorator fabric I had in my stash and trimmed it with some burgundy chintz. The pattern is Butterick 4945 view D. I have used this pattern a few times and it is quick and easy as most apron patterns are. There are 5 different variations in the package. I have tried all except the tunic style. I may try that one next. I love making aprons because I can use the cute fabrics that that I could never wear in any other kind of garment. No one thinks you are weird wearing an apron with cupcakes on it but a blouse or a dress maybe.
I don't do a lot of scrap booking even though I have many supplies for it. Since this was a Christmas swap I thought I should make something for Christmas. My partner is a Messianic Jew so I was going for the blue and white colors. I spray painted the dollar store frames with white paint and glitter paint. Even though I used several coats of paint the frame still had a pink cast to them. The frames started out as brown plastic. I decided to leave well enough alone and I think they look kind of retro. I am always surprised by how long these paper projects take. Maybe that is the reason I don't do much scrap booking. Anyways I like the way they turned out and my partner liked them too.
I included some supplies in her package too. Along with some homemade Chai Tea Mix and a mug and a knitted wire and bead bracelet. I met some nice new friends with this swap so I am always open to meeting new friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment