Saturday, October 3, 2015


I used Simplicity 1467 to sew up my new coordinates.  This is a great pattern and an easy sew for all pieces.  Included in the envelope is a top, an elastic waist skirt, an elastic waist pair of pants, and a jacket.  I made every piece.
I made the top first and I used some silky polyester that I had in my stash.  I think I got it at Hancock Fabrics a few year ago.  I am not really sure why I was attracted to it at the time I bought it because it is very a very bright and very bold large print.  I don't usually wear green or the bright colors like this.  I decided to make the matching skirt as I had just enough fabric left for a skirt.  I pretty much made these pieces just as the pattern called for.  The only change I made was to add a lining to the skirt because I felt the fabric was a bit thin for a skirt. 

Next I made the jacket which was the most complicated of the pieces but still pretty quick and easy.  For the jacket I used a sage linen that I received in a bargain bundle from Fabric Mart.  I am actually not sure of the fabric content but it feels and handles like linen.  I thought it coordinated nicely with my bold skirt and top.  I first thought about using it to make the pants but it seemed to light weight for pants.  Also it was the end of summer going into fall so I wouldn't be able to wear them until next summer.  And I don't like how wrinkled linen gets as pants it would stay looking better as a jacket.  

For the pants I used some navy twill I got in the bargain bundle from Fabric Mart.  I didn't want the pants to be too tight so I went up a size and they ended up being huge on me.  So I altered them to fit better after sewing them together.  I actually wore them first to work one day and I was constantly pulling them up.  So I took in the sides and also lowered the waistband in the front by about an inch so it would sit at my waist and didn't have to keep pulling them up.  Now the fit much better.  I will probably make these pants again with these alterations to the pattern because they were quick and easy to sew.  they have an elastic waist so the are no zippers to deal with.  they have some nice details like the slant pockets the pleats and the mock drawstring waist.  The skirt has the same details.

To finish off my outfit I made a brooch using a bit of each fabric.  I didn't use a pattern for the brooch but just kind of made it up as I went along.  I used the silky for the center flower petals and  I used the salvage edge of the linen for the next layer.  The salvage had a fringe look at the edge.  The bottom layer was a circle cut with pinking shears out of the navy twill.  I think it pulls everything together and I like the accent on the jacket especially.


  1. You bought the fabric at Hancock's over 5 years ago because it was on a $1.99 sale table. I bought the same and have been wearing a similar blouse for several years now. I also picked a bright green/pink color combo and a bold gold/ brown abstract print that I used for shift dresses. Miss our shopping trips. Next time I come down, we can wear matching outfits when we go bargain fabric hunting :)

    1. Yeah I miss going shopping with you too. I thought I had bought that fabric when I was with you but I couldn't remember how long ago that was. You should send me a picture of your blouse.