Monday, August 23, 2010

Apron Swap



I joined an Apron Swap on Craftster. I finished an adorable apron for my partner today. I am not sure if she reads my blog or not. I don't want to post a picture yet just in case. However I made another apron using the same pattern different view. I used Butterick 5474. For fabric I upcycled a couple of denim jumpers I purchased at the thrift shop for $2.00 each. I adapted the pattern from view A.

Since one of the jumpers had this cute birdhouse applique I knew I wanted to use it for the bib of my apron. The fringe fabric around the applique inspired the fringed binding. So instead of binding the edge with bias tape as the pattern suggested I cut 2 inch wide fabric strips and attached them around the unfinished edge of the apron. Then I sewed the jumbo chenille Ric-rac down the middle. Then I clipped the both edges of the strip at intervals about 1/2 inch apart. After attaching the pockets which came from the lower band on the jumper I threw the apron into the washing machine. The washing and drying helped to make the fabric fringe and ravel which was the look I was going for.

When I saw these jumpers in the thrift store I knew I was going to use them for another project. The birdhouse jumper said apron to me. Once I decided what I wanted to make I had to finish it right away because I was anxious to see the results. It was a quick project and I love the results. Even though I was in the apron swap on Craftster I didn't think this apron was my partners style. I wanted to make her one with new fabric. Actually her apron is made from free fabric that friends had given me. When people know that sew I they often clean out their closets and offer fabric to me. I usually take whatever is offered and give away what I don't want. It is all good.

9 comments:

  1. That looks great. I love the jumbo ricrac!
    ~mel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, that ruffle makes your apron darling! Stopping by from Sew&Tell. Thanks for sharing. Happy Sewing! :o)

    Larri at Seams Inspired

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great recycling! The apron is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute! I just love the edge finish with the ric rac and ruffle!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are really great, especially since the kids have started or will be starting school real soon. I can send my kid off with this, since the teacher's never seem to be able to find the over-sized tee-shirts they ask for. And my kid can have a personalized smock!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely Gorgeous! All the more so for being Up-Cycled! I love denim - thanks for sharing your great idea.
    Oh and I popped by from Sew and Tell.

    ReplyDelete