Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Apron Swap Complete



I am participating in The Super Simple Apron Swap and I finished every thing and I am ready to send it off. My partners favorite color was green so I started by looking through my stash to see if I had anything in green. Green is not my favorite color so I don't usually buy green. I have many small fat quarters because I often need a small piece of green for details in an applique or something. But nothing big enough to make an apron with. I have a huge stash and lately I have been trying to use up some of it. Like I said in an earlier post friends often give me fabrics when they are cleaning out their closets. I had just received a bag of free fabric shortly after I joined this swap. The purple and pink flowered fabric was in that bag and there was about 5 yards of it. More than enough to make an apron. The green fabric I used came from a bag of free gift fabric someone gave me last year. It coordinated perfectly with the flowered fabric.

I decided to make Butterick 5474 view E. The lower skirt is made up of two aprons layered. The green one is slightly smaller than the flowered one so the flowered fabric peeks out all around. The top is lined in the same fabric making for easy construction. There is a round collar and three buttons down the center front. I like the way the collar makes the apron easy to put on because you don't have to mess with tying the neck. You can just slip it over your head. I would love to make myself this style. I already had the vintage style buttons in my stash that matched the fabrics nicely.

We decided to send small extras, (the swap only required one apron). I trimmed a hand towel with a ruffle and green band. And I made some micro oven mitts. These micro oven mitts are great for taking thing out of the microwave. I had made some several years ago and had almost forgot about them. I think I need to make myself some more of these too. I love joining swaps because it challenges me to make things I would not normally make. Even though I have found a new love for making and wearing aprons in the last few years, it wasn't until I joined my first apron swap that I really discovered my love for aprons.

2 comments: