Sunday, October 25, 2009

Procrastination



This is why I rarely if ever have had my whole house clean at the same time. I get distracted so easily by my sewing and craft supplies. Well my house is beyond cyclone stage and I really need to put things away but I keep seeing all these projects I could start on or finish or at least work on as I am trying to put things away. And hey it is much more fun to work on a new project than to clean the same old house. So yesterday I decided to put together this rug weaving frame I got at the Sewing Expo a few weeks ago. I actually thought all I had to do was put a few screws in but is was a bit more involved than that. Still it didn't take that long to put together. The kit was just the supplies I needed to make the frame which is good because it saved me trying to find the right stuff at the hardware store. I think I will get some supplies to make a smaller frame for a place mat.


I started weaving my rug with stash fabric I already had. This is a great use of the fabric in your stash that you wonder why you ever bought it in the first place. As I am weaving this rug I am thinking of what I can use for the next one. This one is made with cotton fabrics about the weight you would use for quilts. I think this would be a good way to recycle tshirts. You could cut them into loops and link them together. I also thought of making one out of recycled plastic bags for an outside welcome mat maybe. Or I have some cotton knit fabrics in my stash that would make a durable rug. And if I could come up with enough felted wool I think that would be a nice rug too. I have some not so attractive drapery fabric someone gave me that might work well as a rug. It is sort of a denim color with small green sprigs on it and made up into a rug like this I think would look good. I have been trying to use up my stash this year and actually have made some progress. I knitted a couple of rugs in the past year from much of my ugly stash. The big one use about 40 yards of fabric. I even won a champion ribbon at the county fair this summer. I can't find the pictures I took of the knitted rugs maybe later. And don't worry all this stash busting has not prevented me from adding to my stash this year too. I must be prepared for anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment