Saturday, October 3, 2015


I used Simplicity 1467 to sew up my new coordinates.  This is a great pattern and an easy sew for all pieces.  Included in the envelope is a top, an elastic waist skirt, an elastic waist pair of pants, and a jacket.  I made every piece.
I made the top first and I used some silky polyester that I had in my stash.  I think I got it at Hancock Fabrics a few year ago.  I am not really sure why I was attracted to it at the time I bought it because it is very a very bright and very bold large print.  I don't usually wear green or the bright colors like this.  I decided to make the matching skirt as I had just enough fabric left for a skirt.  I pretty much made these pieces just as the pattern called for.  The only change I made was to add a lining to the skirt because I felt the fabric was a bit thin for a skirt. 

Next I made the jacket which was the most complicated of the pieces but still pretty quick and easy.  For the jacket I used a sage linen that I received in a bargain bundle from Fabric Mart.  I am actually not sure of the fabric content but it feels and handles like linen.  I thought it coordinated nicely with my bold skirt and top.  I first thought about using it to make the pants but it seemed to light weight for pants.  Also it was the end of summer going into fall so I wouldn't be able to wear them until next summer.  And I don't like how wrinkled linen gets as pants it would stay looking better as a jacket.  

For the pants I used some navy twill I got in the bargain bundle from Fabric Mart.  I didn't want the pants to be too tight so I went up a size and they ended up being huge on me.  So I altered them to fit better after sewing them together.  I actually wore them first to work one day and I was constantly pulling them up.  So I took in the sides and also lowered the waistband in the front by about an inch so it would sit at my waist and didn't have to keep pulling them up.  Now the fit much better.  I will probably make these pants again with these alterations to the pattern because they were quick and easy to sew.  they have an elastic waist so the are no zippers to deal with.  they have some nice details like the slant pockets the pleats and the mock drawstring waist.  The skirt has the same details.

To finish off my outfit I made a brooch using a bit of each fabric.  I didn't use a pattern for the brooch but just kind of made it up as I went along.  I used the silky for the center flower petals and  I used the salvage edge of the linen for the next layer.  The salvage had a fringe look at the edge.  The bottom layer was a circle cut with pinking shears out of the navy twill.  I think it pulls everything together and I like the accent on the jacket especially.

Thursday, October 1, 2015

Laundry Day Tee

I found out from one of my Facebook groups that for a limited time you could get The Laundry Day Tee Pattern for free.  I had never used any patterns from Love Notions before or for that matter ever even heard of them.  A free patterns was a good way to try out a new company.
The pattern looked cute on all the models and it was a good basic t-shirt style with a bit of flare.  I had some time on my hands so I decided to give it a try.  

I made the first one to wear with my leggings I sewed from my not so desirable fabric that came in my most recent KnitFix.  I decided it would make a good fabric to try out a pattern I had never sewed before.
I choose to make the leggings from Go To Patterns.  I made view A.  I have had this pattern for a while and just never got around to sewing it up. The Ponte De Roma Knits are a good weight for pants as they are a more substantial knit.  I don't like see through pants especially leggings.  And since I really didn't like the fabric I thought I could at least wear them around the house and they would be comfortable.  As it turned out I kind of like the pants.  While I would never wear them without a tunic covering my posterior they are very wearable.

So the Laundry Day tunic to the rescue!  I had this drapey black knit in my stash I think it was leftover from another project.  I thought it would work well with this pattern and my ugly leggings.  The tunic sewed up quickly probably less than an hour.  I love they way it fits.  I love the loose flowey  bottom and the way the shoulders and sleeves fit. And the neckline fits as well.  These are areas I usually have to adjust.

So I made another Laundry Day Tee with some leopard print knit I had in my stash.  This time I inadvertently cut two fronts.  The pattern is a printout that the front and the back are the same piece and you are supposed to cut your neckline separately as you like.  I guess I was in such a hurry that I cut both together.  But as it turned out i like the results too. A happy mistake turned into a cute scoop neck back on my tunic.